Content

Monday, June 23, 2014

take off.




Today, I left my family and friends, boarded a plane and then it hit me- I won’t be coming right back. I have a one-way ticket to Miami, FL for staging; then on Wednesday, June 25th I’ll be leaving, along with about 22 or so other adults, on a one-way flight to Belize City, Belize’s Philip G Airport to begin Peace Corps Training. More on what training will entail later. 

Well, it wasn’t that smooth. But that was the idea. The reality is that I didn't go to sleep until about 4am this morning, only to wake up at 7am with that butterfly feeling that I was waiting to hit me. I’ve never felt so many emotions at once… that the only result is a numb feeling. Though I thought I’d cry and be a bit more expressive…the abundance of different feelings kind of just cancelled one another out and I’ve been a bit spacey. In time, though, I’m sure I’ll be able to situate it all.

After heading to the airport, I opened my American Airlines iPhone app to a message saying that my first flight (a layover in Chicago) had been cancelled. If that wasn’t annoying enough, I was told that everyone from this flight would be transferred to a shuttle bus that’d take us to Chicago’s O’Hare airport…only catch was- I wouldn't make my connecting flight to Miami on time. Long story short, I was able to get rebooked for a flight leaving an hour later…just enough time to grab a bite, my thoughts…and carry on. After traveling quite a bit, I’ve learned that the best thing is to remain patient and “go with the flow” because inevitably, travel comes with cancellations, delays and issues.

The “Staging” I referred to earlier is the Peace Corps’ word for orientation. Each person in my group will meet at the Miami Airport Crowne Plaza Hotel tomorrow around noon for introductions, and whatever else the 7 hour (12pm-7pm) event will entail. I’m extremely interested and excited to meet the rest of my group and begin getting to know them. 

Stay tuned, and be sure click the “TALK TO ME” link above to e-mail me and/or connect on social media!

Later,


-S

2 comments:

  1. super exciting!! :) staging is in 6 days for me XD
    so im not quite where you're at yet lol but im not far behind.

    keep writing girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you ! staging is exciting. good luck in training, I also look forward to following your vlog site. talk soon !

    ReplyDelete

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.