Content

Wednesday, July 02, 2014

cultura.




This past week was jam-packed. From training sessions, to a full day of learning about Mayan culture, there is plenty to talk about. I have been very appreciative of the truing sessions so far and I am always learning a ton about how to prepare for Peace Corps service. Let me jus stay that the staff has been remarkable and I feel like I've been very fortunate to have received Belize as my post.

Typically, we (myself and other PC trainees) wake up around 6am and are headed to the Peace Corps office around 7:15a. When we arrive we are given breakfast and training sessions start around 8am. The day ends at 5pm and we were taken back to our hotels to spend the evening however we'd like. Myself and some of the other girls usually work out in a park across the street, or I'll use the time to communicate with family/friends back home. Then as a group we all venture out to dinner. Let me just say, the food in Belize so far is delicious. We joked that it may be close to impossible to find bad food here. For that, I am externally grateful.

The highlight of the week, for me, was Saturday. We woke up early, and were driven about 1.5 hours away from Belmopan (where both the PC Office and our hotel is located) to Dangriga, Belize. We visited the Mayan Culture Center, where we were show how the local community grows cacao in order the harvest the  beans and ultimately make chocolate that the sell for revenue. As were were walked through the process, we were told that the chocolate is organic and pure without fillers. This proved to be the recipe for amazing chocolate, as we were allowed to sample it at the end. Incredible isn't even the word, and this is coming from someone who is not a huge chocolate fan....or at least I thought I wasn't.

The next part of the visit involved learning how to dance a traditional Mayan dance called the Harp. The harp is difficult to explain, but it is easy to do, and can be found on YouTube for those who are curious. We were also shown how to make corn tortillas by hand over a fire. Again, delicious. Even without any sauce or filling.

Yesterday, we were given our language assignments. We'd either be given Spanish or Q'eqchi (an indigenous Mayan language) to learn in preparation for our service. I was really happy to be given Spanish, since I have some experience with it. Later today, we'll move into out training village and in with our first host family. I am anxious to meet my family and start practicing my Spanish with them. More on host family life is sure to come.

We were also given our Peace Corps cell phones this week, through which we can text to the United States and receive phone calls. If you'd like to get my Belizean phone number, go to the "Talk to Me" section of this website and shoot me an e-mail!

This week has been so enriching and I've learned so much in a short time. My cohort and I are continuing to get closer and the beauty of Belize is displaying itself more and more.

Talk soon,
-S



Mural at the Mayan Cultural Center in Dangriga, Stann Creek District, Belize.


Stove construction where corn tortillas are hand-formed and cooked over a fire.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.